Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving






Yes, this post is late, forgive me, I'm in the midst of finals.

I didn't take any pictures of my soup partly because I forgot until it was done, and partly because I didn't think it looked very pretty, although it taste great!

Here's the recipe, it's vegan, and good for South Beach Diet phase 1.

2 cups dry italian white beans
~8 cups water or veggie stock (I usually eyeball this)
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 medium onion
6 or more garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil

In a large pot heat the olive oil. Cut up the onion and garlic and saute until golden. Add the bay leaves, the rosemary and a little salt and pepper, and saute for about 1-2 minutes more. Then add the water or stock, and the beans. Stir around and bring to a low boil. Let it continue to simmer for about an hour or an hour and a half, until the beans are soft. Remove from heat and you can either mash the beans with a potato masher or you can remove about half the beans, puree them in a food processor then return them to the soup. I like the food processor option best, but I don't have one right now.
To serve drizzle the top of the soup with a little olive oil. Serve with a piece of crusty italian or rustic artisan bread.

No comments:

 
free hit counter